April 9, 2017

Camp NaNo Letter to Home

This week I hit a scene that sets up the stakes and the main character's motivations.  It turned out to be a delicate balance to have his motivations seem justified and his actions not seem like he's making a really stupid decision because he's a stupid guy.  The whole novel falls apart if this initial buy in falls flat.  There would be little reason to continue if I can't get this part.  So I ended up working it and reworking it over the course of the week, and I've got it where I'm pleased with it (for a first draft).  The down side of this is that I'm way behind my word count goal, but I don't feel terribly bad about that.

Today, April 9th: I have                   8,156 words
Next week, April 16th, I will have 19,818 words for a first goal
                                                       26,666 words for a second goal


In other news, the first episode of the The Twenty Percent True podcast went up on Thursday.  The sad news with that is that while it went up here on the blog on time, I underestimated how long it would take to get it approved by iTunes and Stitcher.  It is now up on Stitcher (where I'm having formatting problems that should be fixed shortly), so you can subscribe, rate and review there.  But I'm still waiting on iTunes.  All in all, kind of a deflated opening.

I was also a guest host on my friend, Jim's, podcast NaNoWriPod.  We talked about Camp NaNo and our projects.  Check it out if you have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment