July 1, 2014

BYOT XIII

(Edit 9/1/14: the video is up!  Watch it!)

Despite my fears and awkward posts about how I didn't know what I was doing, my script at Bring Your Own Theater turned out well.  The actors liked the characters, and the director said I made it the easiest day of his life and then drunkenly kissed everyone.  I've heard it said that the best compliment you can give an artist is not to tell them that you love their work, but to tell someone else that you love their work.  At BYOT, someone came up to me and said, "I heard your script is great," meaning that someone who had read it had told them this.  That's all kinds of awesome, even if people were being especially nice to me after I acted so concerned and new.

But more importantly than my script getting good reception, the play was amazing.  The actors (who were all unbelievable) completely owned it.  As my director told them later in a fit of excited passion, "You were the only three people in that room."  They changed some lines by adding swear words which made it feel more natural and emotional, and they added a few jokes, all of which I approve of 100%.  It was a collaborative effort--one that I'm honored I was a part of and was not at all something worth worrying about.  I gave them a plot and characters and a spirit, and then ran with it, expanded upon it, made it breathe.

So it was awesome and I liked it, and I'm sharing the video of the performance and my script below the cut.  Enjoy!




PUT A RING ON IT

________________

A Play in One Act



SETTING: We are in a restaurant. Center stage there is a table and two chairs facing each other.

AT RISE: Leo sits at the table, anxiously fiddling with a ring
and deep in thought.


(Kelly enters, surprising Leo by grabbing and shaking his shoulders.)

Kelly
Leo!

(Leo shakes her off, looks around the restaurant in embarrassment to see if anyone noticed.)

Leo
Personal space. We've talked about this.
(Kelly leans against his shoulder.)

Leo
I'm in the middle of something.

Kelly
Yeah. I see that. Did she stand you up?

Leo
No. She's just late. She's late a lot. You know that.

Kelly
I do. I know everything.
(She gestures at the ring.)
If you stare at it long enough does it get shinier?

Leo
I thought you knew everything.

(Kelly shrugs)

Leo
This really isn't a good time.

Kelly
Oh, come on. There's never a bad time for your imaginary friend to pop in and say hi.

Leo
Okay. Hi. How are you?

Kelly
Not good, buddy. Not good at all.

Leo
Great. That's awesome. Now you've said hi. So, poof.

Kelly
You're not busy and we both know it.
(Walks around to sit in the chair across from him.)
See? Your gal pal isn't even here yet. We've got time to talk about the horrible mistake you're making.

Leo
No. No, I've thought this through. This is a good thing.

Kelly
Giving her that fugly ring? Seriously? She doesn't want that. No one wants that.

Leo
It's not fugly.

Kelly
It smells like bachelor bathroom. And it has cheeto dust in all the little crevasses.

Leo
It's a gesture.

Kelly
It's humongous. If it's a gesture, it's like waving your arms around so she'll look at you.

Leo
This ring--

Kelly
That ring? The ring we're talking about?

Leo
Yes. This ring is a symbol. It's about trust. I'm letting her in, because I care about her. And I don't care how much you don't like her. This isn't about you.

Kelly
Not about me? Oh, buddy, you don't seem to understand how this imaginary friend thing works.

Leo
Why don't you go break something and so people will blame it on me?

Kelly
You know, the very fact that I'm here shows that you know it's a mistake.

Leo
No, it shows that I've had doubts. I'm not denying that.

Kelly
Of course you do. She sucks. She's got those boring stories. And that laugh she did the other day? And that awful movie she made us watch and acted like it was good? And the way she just goes on and on and on about her dog. Just—just awful. You really want to let that in your life? In our life?

Leo
You're going to mock that laugh forever, aren't you? Laughs happen. At least she does laugh and isn't some kind of joyless, soulless, robot monster.

Kelly
That laugh was like a honk. Like a pig honking on auto tune.

Leo
And I like her stories. I like that she tells me about her day.

Kelly
But couldn't her day be just a bit better?

Leo
I like her. She's smart, and she's funny, and she's hot. I think she's the one. I'm not going to let you talk smack about her.

Kelly
What about the dog?

Leo
You can talk smack about the dog.

Kelly
You know it won't work out with her. I give you guys two months. Tops. Don't give her the ring.

Leo
I'm giving her the ring.

Kelly
Why?

Leo
Because...because...I obviously have some issues--

Kelly
What with your near constant blonde hallucination?

Leo
That.

Kelly
--Who's the best friend you've ever had?

Leo
Yeah. Well. She likes me and I think it's time we made it official. Time I was more honest with her about my crazy.

Kelly
You're going to scare her off.

Leo
Then you win, don't you?


(Annalee enters.)

Annalee
Sorry I'm late. Sorry. Sorry.

(Leo stuffs the ring in his pocket and stands to greet her. Kelly hurries out of her seat to make room.)

Leo
Hey, sunshine.

Annalee
I had to pick Tangerine up from doggy daycare and he slobbered all over everything and then I had to change clothes because of the slobber, and traffic was miserable. But now I'm here. Ta-dah!

Kelly
Ta-dah!

Leo
(Ignoring Kelly)
It's fine. They haven't even come by to ask for our order yet.

Annalee
(She sits.)
Well, then, I'm practically early.

Leo
Hey! That's never happened before. We should celebrate.

Annalee
With Champagne.

Leo
And fireworks, and a boat ride like in that movie you showed me.

Kelly
You disgust me.

Annalee
I thought you would hate that movie.

Leo
No. It wasn't half bad.

Kelly
Seriously!?
(gestures at Annalee, getting in her personal space, although she doesn't notice.)
This!?

(Leo flips her the bird under the table.)

Leo
Tell me more about your dog's slobber.

Kelly
It's like I don't even know you anymore.
(She circles to lean on Leo's shoulder.)

Annalee
Why do you want to hear about that?

Leo
No particular reason.

Kelly
Way to spite a figment of your imagination.

Annalee
Well, you didn't miss much with the great drooling catastrophe. But it could have been worse. I could have two dogs.

Kelly
Don't give hr the ring. Please don't give it to her.

Leo
There's something I've been meaning to talk to you about.

Kelly
No!

Annalee
Oh?

Kelly
Don't do this to me.

Leo
Yeah. I wanted...I wanted to give you this.
(He pulls the ring out of his pocket.)

Annalee
A fugly class ring?

Leo
It's a symbol.

Annalee
That we're going steady?

Kelly
See, she doesn't want it.

Leo
You don't have to take it. I know it's too big, and clunky and ...umm...

Kelly
Personal.

Leo
Personal.
(He cuts an annoyed look at Kelly.)
But I really like you and I think I can trust you with this. I want you to be part of my life.

Annalee
Really?

Leo
Yeah. Please. I want you to have it.

(He hands her the ring.)

Kelly
No. No no no no no--

(Annalee slips on the ring. Her face falls a moment later as she focuses on Kelly over Leo's shoulder.)

Kelly
(awkwardly)
Hi.

Annalee
What?

Leo
I want you to know.

Annalee
But...What?

Leo
The ring lets you see things.

Annalee
(She takes the ring off and puts it back on, watching Kelly blink in and out of existence.)
Oh my God.
(She tosses it to the table.)
There's a woman behind you. An invisible woman.

Leo
It's okay. She's just my imaginary friend.

Annalee
Your imaginary friend?

Leo
Yeah. Like. Casper.

Kelly
Casper's a ghost, dumbass.

Annalee
Casper's a ghost.

Leo
Okay. No. Not like Casper. More like...

Kelly
Harvey? Tyler Durden? Snuffleupagus? Any of those work? No. Because this is never going to work.

Leo
Would you shut up? (to Annalee) Not you. Her.
(He glares at Kelly)

(Annalee reaches for the ring, puts it on to see Leo and Kelly glaring at each other.)


Annalee
You have an imaginary friend.

Leo
Her name's Kelly.

Kelly
Hey.

Annalee
And she's just there. All the time. Watching you.

Kelly
And commenting.

Leo
Not all the time. Just a lot of the time.

Annalee
A lot of the time.

Leo
Yeah. This is kind of awkward.

Annalee
So when you talk to yourself when you think I can't hear you. That time you were arguing with the lamp. Those times when you just stop mid-sentence and glare off into space.

Kelly
That's me. I'm the lamp.

Leo
I don't stop mid sentence.

Annalee
And I can see her now. So she's real even though she's imaginary.

Kelly
It's a head scratcher.

Annalee
(She rubs her forehead.)
How? Why? Why are you showing this to me?

Leo
Because she's kind of a big part of my life. I thought you should know if we were going to--

Kelly
Go steady?

Leo
I don't know. At what point in the relationship do you drop a bomb like this on someone? When we get engaged? When we get married? “Can you pick up the kids from soccer, and, oh, by the way, I have an imaginary friend who hates your honk laugh.”

(A beat of silence.)

Annalee
My honk laugh?

Leo
I didn't mean to say that.

Annalee
Pick up the kids from soccer?

Leo
Or tee-ball?

(Annalee stares at him.)

Leo
Cello practice?

Annalee
I thought we were just having fun. Leo, I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I was looking for something serious. I'm not interested in having kids right now or meeting your...family.

Leo
But...

Kelly
Hey, you can't just--

Annalee
(to Kelly)
It's not you. It's him.

Kelly
That's a new one.

Annalee
If I take this off, will you invisibly stalk me?

Kelly
Hell yes. You can't just dump my best friend. You can't do this to us. I'm going to haunt you forever and--

(Annalee takes off the ring, setting it on the table. She stands.)

Kelly
What?! Did she just--Who does she think she is?
(Kelly pokes at Annalee's arm.)
Tell her I'm touching her.

Annalee
I'm sorry, Leo. Even if it was just a class ring, it was wrong to take it. I mean, what am I going to do with it? I can't wear it.

Leo
You could put it on a necklace?

Annalee
I'm sure somewhere out there, there's a girl for you. For the two of you. Goodbye.
(She leaves.)

Leo
(Calling after her.)
We could pretend I didn't say anything about tee-ball...Kelly's not so bad once you get to know her. I think the two of you would actually get along...We could pretend I didn't say anything about tee-ball...Can I say goodbye to your dog?

(Leo drops his head to the table. Kelly sits in Annalee's seat.)

Kelly
She sucks! I told you she sucks. Don't beat yourself up about it. It's not your fault your ring sucks.

Leo
It sucks, but it isn't fugly.

Kelly
Yeah. It is.
(She looks around)
Wave down a waiter and get us something to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment