May 29, 2016

Story Ideas

I've had a couple story ideas peculating for the past several days.

I.

I've been watching Mystery Science Theater and the last episode was "The Earth vs the Spider."  Before it started, I pictured a spider that could take on the earth.  The ball of its body would be the size of the moon.  It would wrap it's legs around the globe and squeeze, then never let go.  It's hairy limbs would displace water from the oceans and devastate great swaths of land miles wide and thousands of miles long. 

So large portions of the population would be wiped out in the spider's first hug, and the remaining people would live between its legs.  They would have to sever each leg, one at a time, using massive fire power and multi-national efforts (or what's left of the nations for a multi-national efforts).

II.


I've been thinking about how supernatural creatures probably need a lot of therapy.  "I've felt really isolated and afraid since I turned into a werewolf.  What if I hurt my loved ones?  I ache all the time, and I live my life just counting down the days, dreading the next full moon.  I hate myself and I just want it to be over."  "I have really complicated feelings about my husband.  He stole my seal skin and now I'm bound to him.  I miss being a seal, but I love him, but I don't know...is that love even real or just an effect of him keeping my skin?"  "I just can't stop drinking blood.  I need my next hit.  I'm powerless."

But who are they going to talk to without being sent to a psychiatric hospital, which I'm sure wouldn't be the best environment for some supernatural creatures or for the other patients there when the moon is full and they're not set up to properly contain a werewolf.

How many sessions could a werewolf get in before their therapist is like, "Okay, let's talk about your delusions," and the werewolf sighs and knows this isn't going to help them.  When I asked about it (because these are the kinds of conversations I have) my therapist mom told me that she'd never say, "You're not a werewolf," but rather something like "You're telling me things that most people don't believe.  Could we talk about that?"  She said it'd be similar to the clients she gets who see ghosts.  Their delusions might be helping them, like if they can talk to their deceased grandfather.  And if it's not hurting them and not endangering others, there's really not a problem.

But then, what about werewolves?  From an outsider's perspective, their delusion is hurting them: they have violent urges and are worried they'll hurt others.  So we're back to our same predicament.

No comments:

Post a Comment