May 19, 2014

Mix Tape it up

One of the things I like to do to get myself motivated for a new project and get those creative juices flowing is to make a project mix tape.  This is what I did over the weekend for my new novel.  It's great because I can put it on repeat in the car and then drive around just thinking about it, and when a song comes on the radio that's also on the playlist, it triggers thoughts of my novel.  But that probably won't happen so much on this one. 

What I'm looking for in suitable songs: emotions (which vary wildly among characters and from the beginning of the story to the end of the story, so I'm not sure you can pick up on what I'm going for from the outside), themes (this project has the working title of "Necromancer Story" so there's a lot of songs about death and loss, yet not every song about death and loss is acceptable), setting (this one is pretty easy, but Spoon did convince me to take it in a different direction and make it less rural.  "Carolyn," the dancy beat said, "you don't know all that much about that area, and Google maps isn't going to help you, and no one will go with you on that field trip.  Just move it in and write what you know." Thanks, Spoon!)

But I'm interested if anyone could pick up more from these.What can you guess about this story?

Songs below the cut!  Enjoy!




The Cure "Just Like Heaven"  from the album Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me



Dave Mathews Band "Gravedigger" from On XRT Live from the Archives Vol 15



DeVotchKa "Dearly Departed" from the album How It Ends



Johnny Cash "Personal Jesus" from the album American IV



Spoon "I Summon You" from the album Gimme Fiction



Maya Kern "Haunted" from the digital album As I Am



John Wright "Gulf Coast Highway"off YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment