September 25, 2014

Fun with Auto-Suggest

We use my computer at Ink & Blood tournaments.  The contestants type on it, and whatever is on their screen shows up on a television so the audience can see the story as it's written.

The bad news is that my Open Office is really fond of auto-suggest.  And its auto-suggestions are based off of words that are commonly used on it.  Which means that the audiences for Ink & Blood tournaments can probably figure out what I've been writing recently.  Embarrassing!

Some fun ones:
  • werewolves
  • dingus 
  • exasperated  
  • booty-call
  • needs-anger-management
It suggests a lot of hyphenated phrases.  I've been putting off looking to see if I'm actually using them correctly (probably not, but that's what a rough draft is for) but this auto-suggest thing might mean I should move it up the to-do list.

I'm not sure how a word gets put on the auto-suggest list.  I'm sure I could investigate, but the mystery is kind of exciting.  And I have figured out how to turn it off, which I will at the next Ink & Blood event.  And I've figured out how to remove words from the list. 

But why would I?  It's not particularly helpful, because I don't look at my screen when I type.  (My gaze hovers above the B key no matter what I'm typing, and I can't type unless I'm looking at it.)  And--like I said--it's embarrassing.  But it's also kinda funny.  And if I can't laugh about how I'm writing enough about werewolves for my computer to pick up on that fact, then I don't deserve to be writing about werewolves.  And there's something to be said with being exasperated with how many things in my stories are exasperating and how many characters are exasperated about those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment