September 5, 2014

Project Time: Perspective Shift!

I'm changing my latest novel project from 3rd person to 1st person.  This isn't as big a production as it sounds because I haven't written all that much.  Actually, making serious changes like this makes me feel far less guilty that I've done so little.

I decided to do this for a couple of reasons.
  1. First person gives it a stronger voice
  2. Exposition sounds more natural
It's always funny to see what improves when you change the perspective and what gets lost.  Mostly, it's improving, because instead of "She did this because of reasons" I can say "I do this because of reasons and no one ever appreciates how awesome I am I for doing it."  Now there's emotion attached to it, and personalized backstory.  It's like personalization on an info dump.

On the other hand, I had a situation that lost something.  When it was in third person, the sentence was "August dove for the phone before Chelsey could answer it."  But now that it's from August's point of view, August would never admit that she dove for a phone.  Hell no.  She's way too cool to physically throw herself on anything.  And she's way too prideful to admit she did, even if it did happen due to some wildly outlandish situation that probably won't ever come up again.

So basically, I'm dealing with an unreliable narrator and I'm finding that the experience I have with unreliable narrators doesn't translate like I thought it would, which is an interesting subject in itself and worth further investigation.  What makes this different?  What skills can I take from what I've done before?

No comments:

Post a Comment