July 31, 2016

Outlook for August

This week, my productivity tapered off to the point where I did not hit my original goal of editing for 50 hours.  I worked for 44 hours and some change though, and that's not too shabby. 

We're moving, which is a three-ring circus, and I've been packing, which because of the three-ring circus has to be done with painful specificity and care.  My writing time has suffered, and will continue to suffer for the next few weeks as we move and get settled.  My goal for this month, instead of time based, is goal based: I want to get through half of the global edits I've laid out for myself.  That leaves the second half of the edits for September, the ending for October, and then this draft will be done just in time for Nano, where I can give this a break and write a first draft of something else.

That's the plan anyway.  It's good to have plans.

The work I did do this week went well.  I'm restructuring the first chapter I've written, adding a new first chapter and breaking the old one up into chapters two and four.  It's a lot of new writing.  The last time I wrote instead of edited was November, and everything I slapped down then felt like the most awful thing anyone has ever bothered to save in a text file.  Writing this week was a world of difference.  My groove is back.  My enthusiasm is back.  I'm going to chalk it up to the way this book has found its direction in the second draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment